ES1 - Via Ferrata Highlights in the Eastern Alps
Go Euro-style and experience the best via ferratas the Eastern Alps have to offer in a modern version of the Volkswagen Bus! We have done the research for you, and planned out the perfect route to experience 7 or more of the most exciting and breathtaking via ferratas in Germany, Austria, and Italy. You will travel around in a modern version of the VW Camper Bus (yes, they still make them over here), with your own kitchen, bedroom, and living room that waits for you at every trailhead. These gems tend to book out far in advance, so we recommend booking with us as soon as you can!
The displayed price is per person, assuming four adventurers will be sharing one camping bus. For optimal comfort, we recommend 2 adventurers per bus. Please see customization options for other possibilities. Check out our Going Euro-style - The Van Life page for more information.
There is a 700€ deposit required for this tour, which must be paid in full 30-days prior to the tour date. This will be used to cover any damage or fees to the vehicle. The deposit can be paid here.
Price before tax: 461.34 €
If you would like to customize the length of this tour, please contact us.
Some via ferratas included in this tour may be covered in snow into mid-July. We recommend booking this tour from mid-July to the end of August in order to improve the chances that all via ferratas will be in good condition.
Alpenventures UNGUIDED will not be responsible if a via ferrata is not passable at any time for any reason.
Physical Condition: High
Technical Difficulty: Middle
- General hiking and navigation skills
- Comfort with exposure
- Via Ferrata* (all via ferratas are rated in difficulty according to Huesler's scale)
*Adventurers are responsible for their own knowledge and decisions on the via ferratas. Experienced climbers can likely obtain the information needed regarding via ferrata safety through diligent research. For those without climbing experience, we strongly recommend taking a course, or doing a guided tour, before attempting any via ferratas on your own. If you would like us to help you find an English-speaking course or guide in the Alps, please contact us.
All estimated times for the tours are based on a recommendation for general guidance. Please be prepared for your time to vary. We cannot guarantee that any adventurers will complete the tours in the recommended time.
All prices include tax.
This tour can be fully customized, however, the displayed price is based on the following:
- Munich, Germany or Zurich, Switzerland as arrival and departure location (flight is not included)
- 11 days rental of a modern camping bus (VW or Mercedes) with kitchen, sleeping space for four adventurers (please see customization options if less than four will be sharing one camping bus), automatic transmission, and much more
- Detailed information regarding the via ferratas
- Booking service for the campgrounds (campground fees are not included and some may be required up front)
All tours include:
- Digital overview of the tour
- GPS Waypoints or addresses of Accommodations
- Phone numbers to call in case of issues with bookings
Not Included in this Tour:
- Parking fees outside the campgrounds
- Road tolls
- Meals (the vehicle has a kitchen)
- Any gondola or lift fees used to access the via ferratas
- Public transportation (get to and from the vehicle pick-up point)
- Campground fees, which are estimated at:
- 4 people: 114€ per person
3 people: 128€ per person
2 people: 156€ per person
1 person: 240€ per person
Day 1- Land in Munich and pick up the camping bus at or after 3:00 pm (public transportation in Munich is not included in the price, but we will give you specific directions on how to do this). Drive 1 ½ hours to the first campground.
Day 2- Choose between an easier introductory via ferrata with a B difficulty rating, which gains 600 meters (1,967 feet) and takes 4 ½ hours (this via ferrata is reached via a gondola, which is not included in the price), or a 2,200 meter and 7 ½ hour long challenge on a C-rated via ferrata (crampons required for a basic glacier crossing) to the highest point of Germany (we recommend a Gondola return which is not included in the price). If you wish to climb to the highest point in Germany in two days instead of one, see our customization options.
Day 3- Drive 2 hours to the next destination in Austria, a valley with many, well-equipped and secure via ferratas of all levels. There are also great sport climbing areas if you have your gear with you! Enjoy a via ferrata of your choosing.
Day 4- Choose one or two of the many via ferratas in this Austrian valley.
Day 5- Choose a shorter via ferrata in the morning, and drive 3 ½ hours in the afternoon to the next destination in the Dolomites in Italy. Rest up, because Day 6 and 7 are big days!
Day 6- Experience a beautiful via ferrata with a D-difficulty rating. Climb 1,456 meters (4,777 feet) of elevation. The entire day should last around 9 ½ hours.
Day 7- Climb a historic via ferrata from World War I with a C/D difficulty rating. Climb 1,400 meters (4,593 feet). The entire day should last around 9 hours.
Day 8 – Take it easy today. The only thing on the itinerary is to drive 2 ½ hours to the next destination in Austria.
Day 9 – Climb the final, and very spectacular C/D-rated via ferrata. This is another big day with 5,741 meters of elevation gain and an expected time of 9 ½ hours.
Day 10 – Relocate closer to Munich to rest, prepare the vehicle for return and prepare yourself for the upcoming flight.
Day 11 – Return the vehicle by 10:00 am, and travel to the airport for the return flight (public transportation in Munich is not included in the price, but we will give you specific directions on how to do this).
Currently the website only allows the addition of one of the following customization packages. If you would like to combine multiple options, please contact us directly. When booking for multiple participants with varying customization or discount options, they can be added separately to the cart. All prices are per person.
All Alpenventures UNGUIDED tours are fully customizable. The following options have been prepared. Please contact us if you would like to further customize your adventure.
Camping Bus Occupancy for 3: 130 €
The displayed price assumes occupancy for four in the camping bus. Select this option if there will be only 3.
Camping Bus Occupancy for 2: + 390 €
The displayed price assumes occupancy for four in the camping bus. Select this option if there will be only 2.
Camping Bus Occupancy for 1: + 1210 €
The displayed price assumes occupancy for four in the camping bus. Select this option if there will be only 1.
High-point of Germany – two day version – 70 €
For adventurers who wish to do the high-point of Germany, but would like to spread it out over two days, there is an optional hut overnight. We will book the hut for you. This extra day can be made up for anywhere else during the tour. This price includes an overnight in the hut, booking service, dinner, and breakfast.
Please refer to our website page, Going Euro-style for a full list of items to bring. We also recommend one Van Box per vehicle, which can be booked separately. The Van Box includes:
Dishes for eating and cooking
USB 12-Volt charger
Box for dirty shoe storage
Box to assist with gear organization
Only one discount will be applied per tour participant. When booking for multiple participants with varying customization or discount options, they can be added separately to the cart.
Military ID & Veterans: -10%
Please note that a copy of your Military ID will be requested.
Group Leader: -20%
Please select this discount if you are booking a tour for a group of 6 or more (including yourself) and represent the group in coordinating the tour with Alpenventures UNGUIDED.
Group Participant: -10%
If you are traveling with a group of 6 or more (including yourself).
Colorado Mountain Club Members: -7%
Please note that a copy of your membership card will be requested.
All tour prices include tax and are priced in euros. Due to a variety of factors that impact the pricing, prices can change at any time. The price is locked in at the time of purchase.
Euro-style Tours must be paid in full at the time of online booking.
1. Fill the Shopping Cart: Adventurers traveling with a group may choose to book and pay separately online (a shared group name will be required in the Adventure Details), or may book and pay together in a larger group. Tour participants with varying customization or discount options may be added to the Shopping Cart separately.
2. Complete the Booking Details: Once the Shopping Cart is ready, go to Check Out and click the link to complete the Adventure Details. Passport information is requested here, but does not need to be provided until 4-weeks prior to the travel date.
3. Payment: Once the Adventure Details are completed and submitted, return to the Shopping Cart and check out, entering your payment details. Please note that the option to pay only a 20% deposit at the time of booking does not apply to Euro-style tours.
4. Booking Confirmation: Please provide one week following booking for us to verify availability and book the huts. If there is no availability, we will work closely with you to find a fantastic alternative, will search for new dates, or will cancel the payment authorization. Please do not book your flights until you receive confirmation from us.
**Please note the 700€ deposit that must be paid per vehicle 30 days prior to the vehicle pick-up date**